John Poulsen wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for some general advice on which graphics package to use to make a figure demonstrating my experimental design.

I want to design a circle with 7 sectors inside. Then I will want to shade the sectors depending on densities of observations in the sectors. I will also want to draw horizontal lines at increments along the sectors to demonstrate different distances out to the end of the sector.

Given this sparse description, does anyone have advice on what package or functions to use in R?
Hi John,
Do you mean something like this?

obs_counts<-tabulate(sample(1:7,100,TRUE))
library(plotrix)
obs_count_col<-color.scale(obs_counts,c(1,0),0,c(0,1))
pie(rep(1,7),main="Colored count sectors",col=obs_count_col)
color.legend(-1.2,-1.2,-0.5,-1.1,c("0","","","",as.character(max(obs_counts))),
color.scale(seq(0,max(obs_counts),length.out=5),c(1,0),0,c(0,1)),align="rb")

However, I can't quite work out what you mean by horizontal lines on the sectors.

Jim