David1234 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Im quite new to R an I have the following Question:

I would like to define Variables which I can add and multiply etc. and that
R can simplyfy the terms.

The variables should stand for integers. For example I would like to have an entry in an array with variable z and if I add b+z the field should now contain 2z+b. Or if the field
contains   1    and I add    z    the field should contain 1+z.

How can I solve this problem?

I tried to set z=integer and then for example matrix[1,1]=i
But this does only work if I assign a value for z first.

I am very grateful for any help.

Thank you very much!

David

R is not an algebra system but a system for numerical computations. You can write a function that represents (i.e. generates and returns) your matrix and uses its arguments to fill different elements of that matrix.

Best wishes,
Uwe