Hello list,

I am writing a package which builds on a function ("foo") of another package. I only need that particular function. What is the state of the art to do this? Do I need a NAMESPACE file in my package? Currently I still don't have one. Or can I do this with the Imports field in my DESCRIPTION file? Reading chapter 1 of the "Writing R Extensions" manual I do not completely understand for what situations these two alternatives are intended for. The manual says that with the Imports field of DESCRIPTION I can "import the name space" of another package. What does that mean? What are the differences between the two alternatives? Are there consequences for how I can access function "foo" within the code of my package?

Thanks for some clarifications and recommendations!

Wolfgang Koller