On 11/03/2009 11:35 PM, Oliver wrote:
hi, all

I am looking at R package RGL to draw a colored mesh/surface plot like
this one (from matlab).
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/visualize/cbar.gif

The key features I am looking for is surfaced with grid and color, but
not the terrain-like gradient.  but I didn't come even close to it
after browsing through rgl help file.

It is a little tricky to draw both lines and solid colours on a surface in rgl, because one will hide the other: there's no way to turn off the hidden object removal in rgl.

The easiest way to do it would be to draw the grid slightly above the surface. For example,

x <- seq(-2, 2, len=17)
y <- seq(-2, 2, len=17)
z <- outer(x,y, function(x,y) exp(-y^2)*sin(1.5*x))
color <- rainbow(41)[1+round(10*outer(x,y, function(x,y) x^2 + y^2))]

persp3d(x,y,z, color=color, smooth=FALSE)
surface3d(x,y,z+0.001, front="lines", back="culled")

(Fiddle with the 0.001 value if the grid disappears behind the surface, or floats too high above it.)

Another way would be to draw the grid (and maybe the colour) as a texture.

Duncan Murdoch

have anyone drawn something like this before, is this doable afterall?

thanks

Oliver