Adding

par.settings = list(grid.pars = list(lwd = 3))

to my code which uses simpleKey gives exactly what I want.

However, if I use auto.key, I lose all the formatting and get
default colors and symbols.

I am indebted to Deepayan for once again providing the key
(pun intended) to a solution.

My figure is a superposed dotplot similar to the barley example.
I like to vary the symbols even if I use color as an aid to those
with color vision deficiencies and choose my colors with color
vision deficiency in mind.

Naomi

/
<http://www.nbr-graphs.com/bookframe.html>/