You might also try looking in to Python. It has lots of mathematical and
computational libraries (numpy and scipy are particularly useful), as well
some to deal with concurrency (e.g. Parallel Python), and can interact with
R (rpy and rpy2).
Josh Stumpf

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Juliet Hannah <juliet.han...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working with R for a couple of years, and I've
> been able to get most of the things done that I needed (sometimes in
> a roundabout way). A few experienced statisticians told me that
> R is best for interactive data analysis, but for large-scale
> computations, one needs something else.
>
> I understand that this all depends on what you are trying to
> accomplish, and R offers many ways to make large-scale
> computing possible.
>
> I am seeking advice from those of you who do statistical
> programming outside of R. What do you use, and what kinds
> of applications require you to use something other than R?
>
> I have some experience with Java, C++, and Perl. Where would you
> suggest that I concentrate my efforts so that if R does not handle
> what I need well, I will be equipped to handle it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Juliet

"Despair leads to boredom, electronic games, computer hacking, poetry, and
other bad habits." --Ed Abbey

"Masochism is a valuable job skill. ." --Chuck Palahniuk

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java
that my thoughts acquire speed. My hands acquire shaking, the shaking
becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion..."