Although both are known now, there is a time element involved in which one, max.loss was fixed at the time of underwriting and loss was unknown at that time. This *is* an insurance question is it not?

Wouldn't the question be: Can one use the group variable to estimate the proportion of max.loss actually lost following underwriting?

I would vote "no" on all of those offered solutions. If you believe otherwise, you should write an explanation to a hypothetical professor what the output of any of the models actually means.
--
David Winsemius