Hi,

I need a bit of help installing Rpad.

My host runs redhat linux and I followed the instruction
given in http://www.rpad.org/Rpad/ServerNote.html.  I was
clear for the most part.  But I don't know what's going
on with the last step:

  To update the javascript database for the R keyword
  search page (SearchRKeywords.html), source makeHelpTemplate.R
  from within R in the main Rpad directory.

Here's what I did:

  $ R --silent --no-save
  > source ('/bla/bla/bla/Rpad/inst/basehtml/makeHelpTemplate.R')

It returned:
  Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
  In addition: Warning message:
  In gzfile(file, "r") :
    cannot open compressed file '', probable reason 'No such file or directory'
  Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the connection

This set of lines were repeated 9 or 10 times.
Here's makeHelpTemplate.R as it came in tar.gz format:

  package.contents <- function (pkg, lib.loc = NULL)
  {
      file <- system.file("CONTENTS", package = pkg, lib.loc = lib.loc)
  #    if (file == "") {
  #        warning(paste("Cannot find CONTENTS file of package",
  #            pkg))
  #        return(NA)
  #    }
      read.dcf(file = file, fields = c("Entry", "Aliases", "Keywords",
"Description"))
  #    read.dcf(file = file)
  }

  makeIndexData <- function(lib.loc = rev(.libPaths()) ) {
    res <- NULL
    firstpg <- c("base","utils", "stats", "graphics", "methods")
    for (i in firstpg)
      res <- rbind(res,package.contents(i))
    for (lib in lib.loc) {
      pg <- .packages(all.available=TRUE, lib.loc=lib)
      pg <- pg[!(pg %in% firstpg)]
      for (i in pg)
        try(res <- rbind(res,package.contents(i)))
    }
  res
  }

  writeIndexData <- function(res) { # then must edit after
    t <- file("helpIndex.txt","w")
    cat(file=t,"var Entry =\n")
    dput(res[,"Entry"],file=t)
    cat(file=t,"var Keywords =\n")
    dput(res[,"Keywords"],file=t)
    cat(file=t,"var Aliases =\n")
    dput(res[,"Aliases"],file=t)
    cat(file=t,"var Description =\n")
    dput(res[,"Description"],file=t)
    close(t)
  #  system('sed s/^c/Array/ helpIndex.txt > js/helpIndex.js')
    st = readLines("helpIndex.txt")
    st = gsub("^c\\(", "Array\\(", st)
    writeLines(text=st, "js/helpIndex.js")
  }

  id=makeIndexData()
  writeIndexData(id)

Am I supposed to modify something before I source it?
My suspicious mind tells me maybe lib.loc in the line:
  file <- system.file("CONTENTS", package = pkg, lib.loc = lib.loc)
should be be changed to:
  lib.loc = '/usr/local/lib64/R/library'

Can anyone please clue me in?  Any tip would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsa...@gallo.ucsf.edu