I have not figured out why you seem so attached to the c(type) strategy but try:

numbers <-summary(rawdata[ , c(type)] )

On Jun 16, 2009, at 12:06 PM, John Fitzgerald wrote:

Hi everyone,

I experience some problems with adressing of data.frames when I retrieve
some information for geographical position (ypos, xpos) ot of a MySQL
Database and want to perform some simple statistics. The problem is
adressing the dataframes with a construct like

rawdata[c(type)] vs. rawdata$TEMPMIN

to retrieve the numerical information and not a string (I want to store the
numerical values in a database for graphical expression)

Code Snippet:

type <- "TEMPMIN"

numbers <-summary(rawdata[c(type)])
numbers2 <- summary(rawdata$TEMPMINIMUM)

Results:

numbers
   TEMPMIN
Min.   :-7.200
1st Qu.: 2.100
Median : 6.200
Mean   : 6.588
3rd Qu.:11.800
Max.   :18.100

numbers[[1]]
[1] "Min.   :-7.200  "       <<< which is a string

Whereas:

numbers2
  Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
-7.200   2.100   6.200   6.588  11.800  18.100

numbers2[[1]]
[1] -7.2 <<<< which is a numerical value (and can be easily be
saved in a db)

I've tried some conversions like (as.matrix, as.list, as.data.frame...), but
still, using the c() construct will change the results of summary() to
strings. The same happens with median()....

Kind regards,

John Fitzgerald

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories