Jim Bouldin wrote:
I'm trying to run this simple random sample procedure and keep getting the
error message shown. I don't understand this; I've designated x as a
numeric vector, so what is going on here?  Thanks.

x = as.vector(c(1:12));x
 [1]  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12
mode(x)
[1] "numeric"
sample(x, 3)
Error in sample(x, 3) : .Random.seed is not an integer vector but of type 'list'

Something has changed/corrupted an object called .Random.seed that is required by the Random Number Generator.

Just say
 rm(.Random.seed)
and try again.

Uwe Ligges