From: Greg Snow [mailto:greg.s...@imail.org]
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 12:41 PM
To: Nair, Murlidharan T; Hans W Borchers; r-h...@stat.math.ethz.ch; Bert
Gunter; 'Gabor Grothendieck'
Subject: RE: [R] computing the radius of an arc

There is a function "rsaga.local.morphometry" in the RSAGA package that says it
computes curvature (among other things).  It looks like that function was
designed for a different type of data than yours is, but it may work, or if
not, then you may be able to adapt some of the code to work with your data.

Another idea: since the curvature is a function of the radius of the circle
similar to the curve (or possibly sphere), you could find the least squares
estimate of the circle/sphere that best fits the data (or a weighted subset
along the lines of loess) then take the curvature from the radius of that
circle/sphere.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.