Thanks for this advice - and to second Gabor's experience: I just
tried it on a couple of my files and achieved reductions on the order
of 90% (28.6MB to 4.4MB and 1.5GB to 170MB)!

This file contains lots of small plots but also many scattersmooth()-
images ...

So I think it does quite well in my case.

        Benno