Hi,

I'm trying to plot bar graphs with stacked columns marked with
askterisks for certain columns, which follow certain criteria.

I've gotten the stacked bar plots with Data set A (please refer to
code below).  However, I haven't figured how to put asterisks on
columns based on some extra information (such as "used/unused") as in
Data set B i.e.  asterisks at the top of the Index1 and Index3 columns.

---- R code ----
title = 'frequency'
filename = 'testdata2.txt'
sample_output = 'sequences'
# read in data
my.data <- read.delim(filename, sep="\t")

# data from second column onward
my.dataM <- my.data[,2:ncol(my.data)]
# rownames in first column
rownames <- my.data[,1]

# define colours for the categories
col
=
("red
","orange
","yellow
","green
","violet
","cyan","blue","pink","peachpuff","tomato","seagreen","salmon")
my.dataNcol <- ncol(my.data[,2:ncol(my.data)])
my.dataColour <- col[1:my.dataNcol]

# a bar plot with stacked bars
if  (is.null(sample_output)) {
        pdf( "BarPlot.pdf")
} else {
     pdf(file=paste("BarPlot_", sample_output, ".pdf", sep="")) }
barplot(as.matrix(my.dataM),
   main=title,
   legend=rownames,
   col=c(my.dataColour)
)
dev.off()

------Dataset A: data used with code above------
""      "Index1"        "Index2"        "Index3"
"matched"       0.819   0.174   0.007
"errors"        0.619   0.314   0.067
"unmatched"     0.479   0.385   0.136

------Dataset B: data intended to use -----
--(last row "used/unused" for determining whether to mark column with
asterisk or not)---
""      "Index1"        "Index2"        "Index3"
"matched"       0.819   0.174   0.007
"errors"        0.619   0.314   0.067
"unmatched"     0.479   0.385   0.136
"used/unused"   y       n       y