Hi,

I'm new to this mailing list and to R-programming so if the question is stupid
I apologize.

I have to create a package, which includes an S4-class called "BList". For
objects of this class I implemented a method "show", which displays the first
15 data-lines of the object. I further implemented a method "showall", which
displays the whole data in the object. For the "showall"-method i first defined
a generic method:

setGeneric("showall",
    function(object){
        out<- standardGeneric("showall")
})

and then defined the method using

setMethod("showall", signature(object="BList"),
    function(object){
}

My problem: I don't know how to document the "showall"-method for the package.
If I just add the method in the documentation 'BList-class.Rd' as an alias
using:

\alias{showall,BList-method}

and then add it to the list of methods:

\section{Methods}{
  \describe{
    \item{show}{\code{signature(object = "BList")}: Short output}
    \item{showall}{\code{signature(object = "BList")}: Long output}
    }
}

I get the following warning (when I check the package for installation):

* checking for missing documentation entries ... WARNING
Undocumented code objects:
  showall
All user-level objects in a package should have documentation entries.

I then used promptMethods() to build a seperate documentation-file
'showall-methods.Rd'. If I then run the check I get the warning:

* checking Rd files ... WARNING
Rd files with duplicated alias 'showall,BList-method':
  BList-class.Rd showall-methods.Rd

If I then remove the alias line '\alias{showall,BList-method}' from either
'BList-class.Rd' or 'showall-methods.Rd' I get the first warning ("Undocumented
code objects...").

My question: how do you document methods of S4-classes in a package? It works
fine for the method "show" but it does not work for "showall", for which I had
to define the generic function first. What can I do to fix this, or is it
better to just define "showall" as a function and not as a method?

Thanks a lot,

Elton G.