On 09/23/2009 09:58 PM, FMH wrote:
Dear All,

Let:
dp: depth of the river
tp: temperature with respect to depth

We can have a simple scatter plot, between depth as y-axis and temperature as
x-axis, by using a plot function as shown below.

##################### dp<- c(1,4,3,2,5,7,9,8,9,2)
tp<- 1:10
plot(tp,dp, type= 'l')
Could someone advice me on the way to plot the same pair of observations, but with depth in descending order from the origin. Instead of depth, I tried to simply use rev(depth), but the result was bizarre.

Hi Fir,
I think what you mean is this:

depth.order<-order(dp)
plot(dp[depth.order],tp[depth.order],
 main="Temperature by depth")

This lines up your depths on the x axis in descending order and displays the associated temperatures on the y axis.

Jim