1    1    213         1            2
2    2    123         2            3
3    3       2         1            2
4    4     12          2           3
5    1       0          1           1
6    2     34          2           2
7    3    123         1           1
8    4      12         2           2

I want to find the best way to store this so that it can be accessed quickly
for other uses. Someone recommended an array as follows:

actual_array=array(0,c(G,T,length(nj)))
for (b in 1:length(gene)) {
     for (i in 1:max(gene))  {
         for (j in 1:max(groups))  {
              for (k in 1:max(reps)) {
                  if ((gene[b]==i) && (groups[b]==j) && (replicate[b]==k))
                     {
                         yijk_array[i,j,k]=yijk[b]
                     }
                                            }
                                          }
                                    }
                                 }

But this gives an array that has a lot of zeros in places where I don't have
any data. Is there a way to overcome this and present a 'shortened' version?

Jim