Max, thx for the reply, i am amazed at the caret package.. very nice

okay, for time series, i think i can include a dummy variable for each
time period and try to remove the time effect, less 1 dummy, like one
does for seasonality.  maybe that will work, if anyone has any
suggestions on how to use the present caret package with time series,
please share..