sdanzige wrote:

Thank you, but the regular expression example doesn't seem to work
correctly.

I wrote a regular expression that does seem to work, so I'll post it here
for anyone else that needs it.

labs<-levels(df$p_bin)
cbind(lower=as.numeric(sub("[[(]","",sub(",.*","",labs))),
        upper=as.numeric(sub("[])]","",sub("[[(].*, *","",labs))) )

I fear my inelegance will peg me as a Windows programmer, but so be it... -S

You can also use the onlycuts=TRUE option to cut2 to get the vector of cut points, although they are not arranged as a vector of lower and a vector of upper values. It would be easy to customize cut2 to do that.

Frank