If you don't want the county boundaries, then don't use the county map.  There
is the state database that does not have county information.

If you want the counties different colors, but no dividing lines, then you may
want to try the maptools and sp packages (shapefiles for the states/counties is
available on the web) which use a different algorithm for storing and drawing
the maps and will let you draw the outlines in the same color as the fill.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center