On 28/10/2009, at 12:20 PM, David Lubbers wrote:

On my linux workstation I have a nice, very little project in a
directory called "mystuff"

I installed "mystuff" into site-library with R CMD build, R CMD check
and R CMD install.  This was all with the file mystuff.tar.gz.

Now I want to install "mystuff" on my windows workstation.  Can I use
the same file mystuff.tar.gz. Do I need to do something different with
R CMD build?

Ideally somebody has a tutorial for porting from linux to windows this
way.

If the package ``mystuff'' does not involve compiling any Fortran or C
code then it's simple:

        Go to the directory, i.e. library, where ``mystuff'' is installed.
        (NB:  You want the *installed* version, not the source version.)
        Executed

                zip -r mystuff.zip mystuff

        Transport mystuff.zip to the Windoze machine.  Then do the usual
        clickety-click thing to ``install from local zip files''  (I forget
        the actual wording.) And there you go.

        If there is C or Fortran code to be dynamically loaded then this code
        must be compiled under Windoze.  This is possible, but tricky and
        you need to make sure that all sorts of non-standard tools are
        installed on your Windoze machine.  Duncan Murdoch has produced
        a set of instructions for getting through the maze, but I forget
        where.  Doing an RSiteSearch() will probably turn it up for you.

        Alternatively you can use the facility:

                http://win-builder.r-project.org

        which is provided by Uwe Ligges, bless his heart.  Remember this
        is necessary only if ``mystuff'' depends on C or Fortran code.

                cheers,

                        Rolf Turner