Dear R Users,

I was hoping for some help with a recurrent error message in lmer. I am trying
to model the effect of temperature on metabolic rate in animals (response =
int.length) at different temperatures (mean.sst), with repeated measurements on
the same individuals (random effect = female). Ideally I would make a random
slope and intercept model where the rate can change differently with
temperature for different individuals:

model<-lmer(int.length~mean.sst+(mean.sst|female))

However, I get the following warning message:

Warning message:
Estimated variance-covariance for factor 'female' is singular in:
`LMEoptimize<-`(`*tmp*`, value = list(maxIter = 200L, tolerance =
1.49011611938477e-08,
summary(model)

Linear mixed-effects model fit by REML
Formula: int.length ~ mean.sst + (mean.sst | female)
   AIC   BIC logLik MLdeviance REMLdeviance
 155.4 164.5  -72.7      142.8        145.4
Random effects:
 Groups   Name        Variance   Std.Dev.   Corr
 female   (Intercept) 6.8459e-10 2.6165e-05
          mean.sst    6.8169e-10 2.6109e-05 -0.065
 Residual             1.3634e+00 1.1676e+00
number of obs: 46, groups: female, 18
Fixed effects:
            Estimate Std. Error t value
(Intercept)  48.8249     6.5895   7.409
mean.sst     -1.3609     0.2518  -5.406
Correlation of Fixed Effects:
         (Intr)
mean.sst -1.000

If I try and run just a random intercepts model I get similar problems:

model2<-lmer(int.length~mean.sst+(1|female))

Warning message: Estimated variance for factor 'female' is effectively zero in:
`LMEoptimize<-`(`*tmp*`, value = list(maxIter = 200L, tolerance =
1.49011611938477e-08,

I have tried disabling PQL iterations  using control = list(usePQL = FALSE,
msVerbose=TRUE), following Douglas Bates' recommendation on the mailing list
archives but I still get a similar message. Does this mean that the variance
among subjects is too close to zero for estimation of the random effects? I
compared the random effects model to a linear model with just lm(int.length ~
mean.sst) using a likelihood ratio test and got p = 1.0 (which is always
suspicious). It would actually make sense for there to be negligible variation
among subjects in their response to temperature, however I am concerned that I
am making a fundamental error somewhere along the line.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Best regards

Sam Weber

University of Exeter, UK.