Hi All,

I have am using Sweave and the \Sexpr{} to place some numeric variables in
my tex document. I want to format the number prior to entry so they read
slightly more elegantly.
Say i have the following numbers
x <- 0.00487324
y <- 0.000000432
z <- 0.567

I would like to have the numbers displayed as follows

x1 <- 0.0049
y1 <- 0.00000043
z1 <- 0.57

I've seen i can use sprintf("%.3f", pi) for example to get the formating
after the decimal place, but i can't figure out an elegant way to find the
position of the first non-zero entry to allow me to substitute this value
into the sprintf command.

Can anyone offer any advise?

Thanks in advance

Mike