On 10 Nov 2009, at 17:16, tlum...@u.washington.edu wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, jim holtman wrote:

Have you tried something like this:

my.results = apply(chr, 2, function(x){
result <- try(anova(lrm( cpstc.f ~ x + time.cpstc + age + sex + mri))[1,3])
  if (inherits(result, "try-error")) return(NULL)
  result
})

This should catch the error and have NULL in that list element.

It's probably more useful to return a numeric vector of the right size, with tryCatch()

tryCatch(anova(lrm( cpstc.f ~ x + time.cpstc + age + sex + mri)) [1,3],
            error=function(e) NA)

Both suggestions work beautifully, thanks to both!

Also, you probably get less data copying by using a for() or while() loop than by using apply() in this context.

I'm happy to take this in, I am not sure I can see how it would work (the less data copying) though.

Finally, the overhead of formula parsing and model matrix construction repeated thousands of times probably dominates this computation; if it isn't just a one-off it would probably be worth a lower-level implementation.

The markers are ~ 1.5M, but I don't do this kind of analysis often enough to justify any more work than a measly script.

Cheers,

Fede

     -thomas

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Federico Calboli