I think he was referring to the actual 'screen' command..

but, I digress... Is there any way you can put your commands in a script and execute them from the command line so that you see the actual memory and GC output from R in realtime? I use the following (in WinXP) to debug any faulty processes or detect if the job was actually completed successfully:

(adapted for Linux, *not* winxp)
R --verbose MorningStartup.r > morningsummary-log.txt

That should yield some more results which hopefully should help you investigate. The pertinent stuff is output to the console.

-cedrick

Peng Yu wrote:
I run R in gnome-terminal. Is it what you referred as 'screen session'?