On Nov 12, 2009, at 8:42 AM, Jeff Harring wrote:

I have a question regarding automatizing simulation runs in R...

I have 500 external data sets for a simulation study that I would like to bring into R to analyze. They have the names data1.dat, data2.dat, ..., dataN.dat

Is there a way to automatize the bringing in of these data sets in R using the read.table function within a looping cycle?

For example...

for (j in 1:N){
data_"j" = read.table("data"j".dat, header=F)

Perhaps something like this:

for (j in 1:N){
assign(paste("data", j, sep="_") , read.table( paste("data",j,".dat", sep=""), header=F) }

Or even better might be to assign to a list which would augmentalize your future automatizabilationabilty:

flist <- list()
for (j in 1:N){
flist[[j]] <- read.table( paste("data",j,".dat", sep=""), header=F) }

--
David
executable code

bring in the next data set.

SAS uses a ampersand "&" to automatize the process.

Example code:

data _NULL_;
 set final;
     filename out "C:\data&k..dat";
     file out;
     put variables;
run;

I would welcome any insight into how to address this issue.

Thank you.
Jeff Harring

Jeffrey R. Harring, Assistant Professor
Department of Measurement, Statistics & Evaluation (EDMS)
1230 Benjamin Building
--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories