Dear all, I'm trying to process a log file which logs the date, the username
and the computer number accessed. The table looks like this:
>table.users
         Date UserName Machine
1  2008-11-25     John     641
2  2008-11-25    Clive     611
3  2008-11-25   Jeremy     641
4  2008-11-25     Walt     722
5  2008-11-25     Tony     645
6  2008-11-26     Tony     645
7  2008-11-26     Tony     641
8  2008-11-26     Tony     641
9  2008-11-26     Walt     641
10 2008-11-26     Walt     645
11 2008-11-30     John     641
12 2008-11-30    Clive     611
13 2008-11-30     Tony     641
14 2008-11-30     John     641
15 2008-11-30     John     641
..................etc
What I want to do is to find out how many unique users logged on each day, and
how many individual machines where accessed per day. In the above example,
therefore on 2008-11-25 there were 5 separate users accessing 4 machines, on
2008-11-26 there were 2 unique users who used 2 machines (although both logged
on more than once).
I've got as far as apply(table.users, 2, FUN=table) which gives me an output of
date, or username or machine and how many times they were accessed, but not
really what I want.
Any help appreciated

Jabez