On Nov 15, 2009, at 4:11 PM, martin08 wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to R. Can someone please give me some hints in how to do the
following things:

1- Get ONE permutation of a set. I have looked at the gregmisc package's permutations() method, but I just want to get one permutation at a time.

Assuming that set1 is your set object and x is <= number of permutations of z things from set1, then

permutations(set1, z)[x] will give your the x-th permutation.

the "[" operator/function can often be appended to the end of a function to extract the desired subset.

2- Simulate a Markov chain in R. For instance, I want to simulate the simple random walk problem, in which a person can walk randomly around 4 places. I know how to set up the transition matrix in R. I'm stuck at what to do next.

Learn to search for yourself:

http://search.r-project.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%22transition+matrix%22+markov&max=100&result=normal&sort=score&idxname=Rhelp08&idxname=Rhelp02

I'm grateful if someone can give me hint or a pointer.

Thanks.

Martin

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories