The scale function seems to have tackled the skew, just looking at the
boxplots for the data.

The boxcox function I'm using is boxcox(), from MASS. I've looked through
the help page, but I don't think (from what I can see) there's a way to make
the boxcox function handle the negative values, unlike say the b.c function
(from car, I think), which has a 'start' argument.

How would I add, say, a constant c to each piece of data? Whilst I think I
understand the stats, I'm pretty terrible at manipulating R, as I've only
been using it for a few days!

Thanks again,

Henry