Hi Julia,

I'm also a newcomer to R and to this listserv (in the past two weeks).  One
book that was recommended to me, and has been extraordinarily helpful in
learning how to really make use of R, is "A Beginner's Guide to R", which
focuses on data entry/import, data manipulation, functions, and plotting.  I
quite literally went from barely being able to use R to finishing most of
the analysis I need for a term paper in about 10 (well-rested) days thanks
to it.

I've also heard great things about the Dalgaard text in terms of doing
statistical analysis in R.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Ben

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Adaikalavan Ramasamy <
a.ramas...@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Julia,
>
> Welcome. It is good that you wish to learn more about R.
>
> R has certainly become very vast in the last few years. Do you wish to
> learn R for a particular reason (financial analyses, multivariate,
> prediction/classification, genetics)? You might get more targeted reading
> materials, books and websites to follow up.
>
> Regards, Adai
>

> Julia Cains wrote:
>
>> Dear R helpers,
>>
>> Almost 15 days back I have become member of this very active and wonderful
>> group. So far I have been only raising  queries and in turn got them solved
>> too and I really thank for the spirit this group member show when it comes
>> to the guidance.
>>
>> I wish to learn R language and I have given 2 months time for this. Can
>> anyone please guide me as how do I begin i.e. from basics to advance.
>>
>> R is such a vast thing to learn, so I wish to learn it step by step
>> without getting lost at any stage.
>>
>> Please guide me where do I start and upgrade myself to higher level step
>> by step.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Julia

>> Only a man of Worth sees Worth in other men

Benjamin Seligman
Stanford University, School of Medicine
MD Candidate, SMS II