Dear R-users,

For the past few days, I have been trying to find the reason why some of my plots were showing symbols of different sizes, while I thought I was using the same .cex arguments everywhere. The problem is exemplified by the following example code where the xyplot and grid.points functions are used. The scaling factor is set to 0.84 in both the functions settings, but one can see that, in the pdf file, the blue symbols plotted by xyplot are smaller than the single black symbol created by grid.points. Playing with the trellis settings did not seem to solve the problem. I am missing a hidden scaling factor somewhere, but don't know where to look anymore

I would greatly appreciate the feedback of the list on this issue.

library(lattice)
library(grid)

pdf(file="test.pdf")

df <- data.frame(a=1:12,b=1:12,c=rep(1:4,each=3))

#trellis.par.set(superpose.symbol=list(cex=1))

xyplot(b~a|c,
      data=df,
      panel = function(x,y){
        panel.xyplot(x,y,pch=3,cex=0.84)}
      )

str(trellis.par.get()) str(get.gpar())
grid.points(x=100,y=85,pch=3,gp=gpar(cex=0.84))

dev.off()