pkg:lattice is installed as part of the base R distribution.
You don't need to install it.

DispersionMap wrote:
Thanks, ill give them whirl...when i was installing the lattice package i got
the error in bold below...why does it say permission denied and what effect
does this have?
I guess that you're on Vista and don't have write permission
for that directory.

 -Peter Ehlers

utils:::menuInstallLocal()
package 'lattice' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
updating HTML package descriptions
Warning message:
In file.create(f.tg) :
  cannot create file 'C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-29~1.2/doc/html/packages.html', reason
'Permission denied'

local({pkg <- select.list(sort(.packages(all.available = TRUE)))
+ if(nchar(pkg)) library(pkg, character.only=TRUE)})
Warning message:
package 'lattice' was built under R version 2.10.0 I have it loaded

Peter Ehlers wrote:
Whoops, that should be

  densityplot(~y|g, data=dat, plot.points=FALSE, layout=c(1,4))

  -Peter Ehlers

Peter Ehlers wrote:
You could try density plots:
If dat is your dataframe, y is your numerical vector and
g is your factor,

library(lattice)
trellis.device(height=9, width=7)
densityplot(~g|y, data=dat, plot.points=FALSE, layout=c(1,4))

See ?densityplot, ?panel.densityplot

 -Peter Ehlers

DispersionMap wrote:
Thanks, however the group sizes are really big (each a,b,c.. category
has
60,000 observations). Its hard to see whats going on withe the jittered
stripchart, i just get big black blobs.

Any other suggestions?

Peter Ehlers wrote:
If your group sizes are not too large, I would use jittered
stripcharts.
They're more informative than boxplots and much less subject to
misinterpretation. One warning, I'm not fond of the default pch=0.

 -Peter Ehlers

DispersionMap wrote:
What ways are there to plot categorical vs numerical data in R.

I have two columns: one with categorical data in 5 categories a,b,c,d,e,
and
a numerical column with integers between 1 and 100.

I have used a boxplot with a,b,c,d,e on the x-axis and an increasing
numerical scale on the y-axis. This look fine but im looking for other
ways
to present the data.

What other ways can i do this???

Peter Ehlers