Hello,

I have some data, and I want to generate random numbers following the
distribution of this data (in other words, to generate a synthetic data set
sharing the same stats as a given data set). Reading an old thread I found the
following text:

>If you can compute the quantile function of the distribution (i.e., the
>inverse of the integral of the pdf), then you can use the probability
>integral transform: If U is a U(0,1) random variable and Q is the quantile
>function of the distribution F, then Q(U) is a random variable distributed
>as F.

That sounds good, but is there a quick way to do this in R? Let's say my data
is contained in "ee", I can get the quantiles using:

qq = quantile(ee, probs=(0,1,0.25))
           0%           25%           50%           75%          100%
-0.2573385519 -0.0041451053  0.0004538924  0.0049276991  0.1037823292

Then I "know" how to use the above method to generate Q(U) (by looking up U in
the first row, and then mapping it to a number using the second row), but is
there an R function that does that? Otherwise I need to write my own to lookup
the table.

Thanks in advance,
Ivan