On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Rebecca O'Leary wrote:

Dear R-users

I am using RPART package to get regression trees. However having trouble getting the text function to put the full splitting rule number on the plot, instead to puts it in scientific notation. When a covariate has 1e4 or greater number of digits then the splitting rule number displayed on the plot is in scientific notation. But print.rpart displays the splitting rules in full. I have tried using digits option in text function but this only alters digits of the mean displayed at terminal nodes. How do I get the full splitting rule number displayed on the tree plot?

You change rpart:::labels.rpart, which uses a 'g' format and hence uses scientific notation if it is more compact.

Below is an example.

library(rpart)

temp <- as.data.frame(cbind(kyphosis, Start2=kyphosis$Start))

temp$Start2 <- temp$Start2+10000

fit1 <- rpart(Age~ Kyphosis +Number + Start2, data=temp)

plot(fit1)

text(fit1, use.n=TRUE, digits=5)

Thanks

Dr Rebecca O'Leary, PhD

Biostatistician
Senior Research Officer
UWA Centre for Child Health Research
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, 100 Roberts Rd, Subiaco
Perth WA 6008 Australia
Email: role...@ichr.uwa.edu.au
Tel: +61-8-9489 7745
Fax: +61-8-9489 7700

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please send properly formatted text mail without all the blank lines.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk