Hi Matt,

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 5:49 AM, Bunny, lautloscrew.com
<bu...@lautloscrew.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> i have a programming problem that should be simple, though i am stuck with
> it. Please note that this is not a specific geonames problem, though i use it
> as an example - it愀 just a basic problem with lapply.
>
> I use the geonames webservices with the R geonames packages which works
> almost smoothly.
> I have a vector of Zipcodes and i want to do a geonames lookup for all of
> them, which should not be a problem.
> Of course i could create a loop for that one, but i think lapply should be
> possible, too.
>
> The problem is to hand over the variable to the lookup function.
>
> lapply(zipcodes,GNpostalCodeLookup(postalcode=zipcodes,country="US"))
>
> where zipcodes is my vector of zip codes an GNpostalCodeLookup is the
> function that gives back some information like longitude and aptitude etc. Is
> it possible to use lapply in that context or can I just use it in contexts
> like lapply(somelistofvectors, mean) ?
>
> all i悲 like to have is some data.frame like this
>
> zip     apt    long
> 1234  xy.x        xx.x
> 1235  ax.x   aa.a

I am not sure what aptitude is, but this might help.
Note that this is a reproducible example.

library(geonames)
# make fake dataframe
z.df <- data.frame(zip = c(28607, 28608, 28609),country = c('US','US','US'))

# add longitude to dataframe
z.df$long=apply(z.df,1,function(l){GNpostalCodeLookup(postalcode =
l[1], country = l[2])$lng})
# add latitude to dateframe
z.df$lat=apply(z.df,1,function(l){GNpostalCodeLookup(postalcode =
l[1], country = l[2])$lat})

I am sure there is a way to get this into one function but this is
what I came up with.

Hope this helps,
Michael

> thx in advance
>
> matt

Michael Denslow

Graduate Student & Adjunct Instructor
I.W. Carpenter Jr. Herbarium [BOON]
Department of Biology
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina U.S.A.
-- AND --
Communications Manager
Southeast Regional Network of Expertise and Collections
sernec.org

36.214177, -81.681480 +/- 3103 meters