On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 8:34 PM, D Kelly O'Day <ko...@processtrends.com>wrote:

> I am trying to build an easy to use climate data analysis tool kit that
> will
> let non-R users run my detailed r script with minimum R learning curve
> effort.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> link <-
> "http://chartsgraphs.wordpress.com/files/2010/01/nsidc_trend_plot_2.doc";
> source(link)
>
>  Why is it called '.doc'?  ".R" would be normal, this makes me think it's a
word document...

> My questions:
>
> 1. how can user get list of just data.frames to investigate the data?

 ls() ? I'm not sure exactly what you mean here...

> 2. how can user list my R script in the session so that he/she can adjust
> it?
>

> My R scripts retrieve raw data, process it and organize it for analysis.
> I'd
> like the users to be able to save the data, subset, modify data and make
> their own plots.
>
> I can't seem to find out any information on how to "look at" sourced R
> scripts. Suggestions on where to look will be appreciated.

 You can use a URL in many places where you can use a filename in R. So I
can read in your script above with:

 f=readLines("
http://chartsgraphs.wordpress.com/files/2010/01/nsidc_trend_plot_2.doc";)

 now f[1] is the first line of your file, f[2] is the second and so on.

 You might be better off using download.file(), which gets and stores a
file. Then persuade your users to edit it with an editor (use
file.edit(filename)) and then source it again.

 Useful?

Barry