Hi Michael,
have a look at colors.plot(T) from the epitools-package (and perhaps at colorbrewer.display() as well). Maybe this suits you?
hth

Michael Friendly schrieb:
I'm looking for a scheme to generate a default color palette for plotting points, lines and text (on a white or transparent background)
with from 2 to say 9 colors with the following constraints:
- "red" is reserved for another purpose
- colors should be highly distinct
- avoid light colors (like "yellow"s)

In RColorBrewer, most of the schemes are designed for area fill rather than points and lines. The closest I can find
for these needs is the Dark2 palette, e.g.,

library(RColorBrewer)
display.brewer.pal(7,"Dark2")

I'm wondering if there is something else I can use.

On a related note, I wonder if there is something like an interactive color picker for R. For example,
http://research.stowers-institute.org/efg/R/Color/Chart/
displays several charts of all R colors. I'd like to find something that displays such a chart and uses identify() to select a set of tiles, whose colors() indices are returned by the function.

-Michael