Hi

I would like to write a script that reads a list of variable names. These
variable names are some of the column headers in a data.frame. Then I want do a
for-loop to execute various operations on the specified variables in the
data.frame, but can't figure out how to do the necessary variable substitution.
In bash (or C) I would use "$var", but there seems to be no equivalent in R.
The data.frame has 300 columns and 2500 rows. Not all columns are continuous
variables, some are factors, descriptors, etc., so I use the varlist to pick
which columns I want to analyze.

#Example script
varlist<-read.table(/path/to/varlist)
for (i in 1:length(varlist)){
        res<-mean(Dataset$SOMETHINGHERE_i )
        write(res) somewhere
}

Something like that. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jon

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon Erik Ween, MD, MS
Scientist, Kunin-Lunenfeld Applied Research Unit
Director, Stroke Clinic, Brain Health Clinic, Baycrest Centre
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Medicine, Div. of Neurology
    University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine

Kimel Family Building, 6th Floor, Room 644
Baycrest Centre
3560 Bathurst Street
Toronto, Ontario M6A 2E1
Canada

Phone: 416-785-2500 x3648
Fax: 416-785-2484
Email: jw...@klaru-baycrest.on.ca

Confidential: This communication and any attachment(s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended solely for the address(es) or the
entity representing the recipient(s). If you have received this information in
error, you are hereby advised to destroy the document and any attachment(s),
make no copies of same and inform the sender immediately of the error. Any
unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is strictly prohibited.