The classic test for a properly set up X11 is to issue the command
   xclock
at the prompt (on the linux box). (this assumes the linux box has xclock installed, but that is highly likely)

If it works, the X11 forwarding is set up. If not, then, evidently not, but in the latter case at least you say it isn't R.

-Don