Dimitris, thanks for your detailled answer and the literature recommendation.

However, I'm still wondering about the interpretation of coefficients in the AFT model with time-varying covariates. The precise question is: How can I interpret a "single" coefficient if my assumption is that an effect will vary over time (for example: coeff = 0 in the beginning, then rising to >0, then slowly decreasing back to 0).

Sure I will fetch Cox&Oakes (1984) from the library asap, but it's still crazy that there's hardly any online information available on the topic these days (or at least I can't find it). I realize this is all a bit OT for r-help though...