Thanks! I think that will do the trick. I had not known of the match function before. Always learn something new on this list.

--Chris
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
425 Robinson Street, Binghamton, NY  13904
cryanatbinghamtondotedu

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea." [Antoine de St. Exupery]

jim holtman wrote:
Here is how you can do the lookup:
> # lookup up the school > lkup <- read.table(textConnection("1 'BENJAMIN FRANKLIN ES' 465
+ 2    'CALVIN COOLIDGE SCHL'            379
+ 3    'EAST MS'                         590
+ 4    'HORACE MANN SCHL'                374
+ 5    'MAC ARTHUR SCHL'                 481
+ 6    'THEO ROOSEVELT SCHL'             377"))

 > # find a match
 > lkup[match('HORACE MANN SCHL', lkup[,2]), 3]
[1] 374

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Christopher W. Ryan <cr...@binghamton.edu <mailto:cr...@binghamton.edu>> wrote:

    One more bit:  I got as far as this, thinking it might help:

    Using a data file that I know has all the necessary denominators, I
    created a dataframe of school names (as factor) and
    TotalStudentsEnrolled.

     data.frame(data$School[!duplicated(data$School)],
    data$TotalStudentsEnrolled[!duplicated(data$School)])

    1    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN ES            465
    2    CALVIN COOLIDGE SCHL            379
    3    EAST MS                         590
    4    HORACE MANN SCHL                374
    5    MAC ARTHUR SCHL                 481
    6    THEO ROOSEVELT SCHL             377
    [truncated]

    I thought I might be able to "look up" the necessary value for each
    school from this dataframe. But I can't get my head around using
    indices to do it.

    Thanks again.

    --Chris

-- Christopher W. Ryan, MD
    425 Robinson Street, Binghamton, NY  13904
    cryanatbinghamtondotedu

    "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
    divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for
    the vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]

Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH
+1 513 646 9390