Is it possible the problem is another?
I cannot generate png images when R runs on a machine without *installed* X11

Here is the error message when I submit a simple png() plot on a computing node of my cluster.

Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize, :
  unable to start device PNG
Calls: png
In addition: Warning message:
In png("Test.png") : unable to open connection to X11 display ''
Execution halted

The solution for my problem is to generate pdf files (that are then included in a LaTeX paper, so the "solution" does not help you).

Ciao!
                mario