Worik R wrote:
Related:  I found the problem eventually.  It was a parameter that was too
large and the function called "stop".

Looking at the documentation I see I can supply my own error handler.  Cool.

Are there already written error handlers that dump a stack trace?

See http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/debuggingR/, particularly the section on post-mortem debugging. One of the choices described there is to set options(error=recover).

Duncan Murdoch
cheers
Worik