What does it mean to "dispatch every member"?  Is this a single server queue
where processing is done FIFO through a single server, or is it just every
member has to wait a predetermined time for processing?

If a single server queue, then you can determine the arrival time and then
iterate and add the processing time for each item and determine if the next
one is still in the queue to determine how to modify that time.  This is
what a discrete event simulator does.  You will have to check each event and
its time to determine what happens.  There are analytical formulas for
simple single/multi-server queues.  Your problem discription does not define
"what problem you are trying to solve".

If you are just trying to determine how many are in the queue based on an
arrival rate and response time, then apply Little's Law (N = A * R).

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Carlos Ernesto Lopez Nataren <
nato...@fisica.unam.mx> wrote:

> Hello everybody :) I am trying to simulate a queue with times of arrival to
> the queue and time taken to dispatch every member of the queue coming from
> two exponential distributions, I am interested in knowing the number of
> people at any time and the time that takes every member of this queue to be
> dispatched.
>
> I thought this was gonna be an easy task but I've failed to try to simulate
> this, is there any package that does this already?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much
> Carlos
>
> --
> Este mensaje ha sido analizado por MailScanner
> en busca de virus y otros contenidos peligrosos,
> y se considera que está limpio.
> For all your IT requirements visit: http://www.transtec.co.uk

Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH