As pointed out by others, vcd supports mosaic plots on top of the grid
engine (which is extremely helpful for those of us who love playing around
with grid).  The standard mosaicplot() function is directly available (it
isn't clear if you knew this).  The proper display of names is a real
challenge faced by all of us with these plots, so  you should try each
version.  I'm not sure what you intend to do with a legend, but if you want
the ability to customize and hack code, I suggest you look at grid and a
modification to vcd's version to suit your purposes.

Jay