Hi,

I need some help to get some of the object orientation, specifically the
methods that overload the basic arithmetic operations, from sample C++
code to R. I don't have experience with such advanced language features
inside of R. So I was wondering if some of you could help me out in this
regard.

I have written a simple demonstration of a forward mode automatic
differentiator in C++ and it is currently hosted on github:
http://github.com/quantumelixir/ad-demo/blob/master/simple.cpp. It uses
simple operator overloading techniques to modify the meaning of the
basic arithmetic operations (+, -, *, /) for the "derivative" type Dual
number class that I have defined. Could you show me how this could be
equivalently done in R? I want to know how to define custom classes and
define the meaning of arithmetic for them.

I had checked for operator overloading in R but could only find the
equivalence of a + b and '+'(a, b) in the R language definition. Could
you show how I could extend the simple object oriented-ness in the C++
code neatly to R?

Thanks a bunch!
Chillu

PS: Sorry that I had mistakenly sent the email to the r-devel list earlier,
instead of the intended r-help list. This is a copy of the same email.