Dear R Users,

I employed the phyper() function to estimate the likelihood that the number of genes overlapping between 2 different lists of genes is due to chance. This appears to work appropriately.

Now i want to try this with 3 lists of genes which phyper() does not appear to support.

Some googling suggests i can utilize the Multivariate hypergeometric distribution to achieve this. eg.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_distribution

But when i try to do this manually using the choose() function (see attempt below example with just two gene lists) i'm unable to perform the calculations- the numbers hit infinity before getting an answer.

Searching cran archives for "Multivariate hypergeometric" show this term in the vignettes of package's ‘combinat’ and ‘forward’. But i'm unable to make sense of the these pachakege functions in the context of my aforementioned apllication.

Can some one suggest a function, script or method to achieve my goal of estimating the likelyhood of overlap between 3 lists of genes, ideally using the multivariate hypergeometric, or anything else for that matter?

cheers in advance,

Karl

#example attempt with two gene lists m & n
N <- 45101 # total number balls in urn
m <- 720   # number of 'white' or 'special' balls in urn, aka 'success'
n <- 801   # number balls drawn or number of samples
k <- 40    # number of 'white' or 'special' balls DRAWN

a <- choose(m,k)
b <- choose((N-m),(n-k))
z <- choose(N,n)
prK <- (a*b)/z #'the answer'