If you use '<<-' remember that you are going to get into trouble and it will
be a challange to debug your script.  Only use it if you have a real good
understanding of the scoping rules in R and have exhausted all the other
avenues.

I, like Greg, am guilty of using it because I still keep some of my old
habits (like COMMON in FORTRAN) and every so often do have the need for a
"global" variable I can change in a lower level routine without returning a
value (and am willing to suffer the consequences of "side effects").  And
make sure that you always use the <<- when referring to that object so that
you do not create a local copy in some subroutine and really get messed up.

So as the answer to "when", I typically says "never".

Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH
+1 513 646 9390