On Apr 16, 2010, at 3:57 PM, Jeroen Ooms wrote:

Yes I know I can manually do it, but I am using it for scripts in which users upload files. Hence, I don't know what's going to come; I don't know on
before hand whether data will contain Dates, and in which columns they
appear. This is why I was surprised that read.table has some (undocumented) behavior of converting columns that look like Dates to a different format.

I would like to control this default behavior of the read.table function,
rather than set a type for a specific column of a specific file.

The as.is argument should prevent automatic conversions. Set it to TRUE.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT