Stella,

A few brief words of advice:

1. Work through your code a line at a time, making sure that each is what
you would expect.  I think some of your later problems are a result of
something
early not being as expected.  For example, if the read.delim() is in fact
not
giving you what you expect, stop there before moving onwards.  I suspect
some funny character(s) or character encodings might be a problem.

2. 32-bit Windows can be limiting. With 2 GB of RAM, you're probably not
going to be able to work effectively in native R with objects over 200-300
MB,
and the error indicates that something (you or a package you're using)
simply
have run out of memory.  So...

3. Consider more RAM (and preferably with 64-bit R).  Other solutions might
be possible, such as using a database to hand the data transition into R.
2.5 million rows by 18 columns is apt to be around 360 MB.  Although you
can afford 1 (or a few) copies of this, it doesn't leave you much room for
the memory overhead of working with such an object.

Part of the oringal message below.

Jay

Message: 80