On May 9, 2010, at 12:30 AM, Venkatesh Patel wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dr. Venkatesh <drve...@liv.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, May 9, 2010 at 4:55 AM
Subject: R apply() help -urgent
To: r-help@r-project.org

I have a file with 4873 rows of 1s or 0s and has 26 alphabets (A-Z) as
columns. the 27th column also has 1s and 0s but stands for a different
variable (pLoss). columns 1 and 2 are not significant and hence lets ignore
them for now.

here is how the file looks

Cat GL A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q
 R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z     pLoss
H 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
 0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0     1
E 5 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
 0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0     1
P 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
 0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0     1
snipped
..
..

Alphabets A-Z stand for different categories of protein families and pLoss
stands for their presence or absence in an animal.

I intend to do Fisher's test for 26 individual 2X2 tables constructed from
each of these alphabets vs pLoss.

For example, here is what I did for alphabet A and then B and then C.... so
on. (I have attached R-input.csv for your perusal)

data1 <- read.table("R_input.csv", header = T)
datatable <- table(data1$A, data1$pLoss) #create a new datatable2 or 3
with table(data1$B.. or  (data1$C.. and so on
datatable

      0    1
 1    0   21

now run the Fisher's test for these datatables one by one for the 26
alphabets :(

fisher.test(datatable), ... fisher.test(datatable2)...

in this case, the task is just for 26 columns.. so I can do it manually.

But I would like to do an automated extraction and fisher's test for all the
columns.

 tbl.list <- apply(dfrm[, 3:29] , 2, function(x) table(x, dfrm$pLoss))
lapply(tbl.list, function(x) if (nrow(x) >1 && ncol(x) >1) fisher.test(x))

I tried reading the tutorials and trying a few examples. Cant really come up
with anything sensible.

How can I use apply() in this regard? or is there any other way, a loop may
be? to solve this issue.

Please help.

Thanks a million in advance,

Dr Venkatesh Patel
School of Biological Sciences
University of Liverpool
United Kingdom

--
♪ There can be miracles when you believe ♪♬ Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill ♬ Who knows what miracles you can achieve when you believe ♪♬
Somehow you will.. when you believe!! ♪

--
♪ There can be miracles when you believe ♪♬ Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill ♬ Who knows what miracles you can achieve when you believe ♪♬
Somehow you will.. when you believe!! ♪

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT